New Jersey truly is the garden state and we provide far more than our famous corn and tomatoes!
Locally, the Princeton Farmers Market is open Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Nov. 15 in Hinds Plaza next to the Princeton Library, 55 Witherspoon St. Local farmers offer fresh fruits and vegetables as well as locally made cheese, wine, jams and other goods.
Nearby Terhune Orchards at 300 Cold Soil road also offers 35 varieties of fruit and vegetables in its farm store.
The list below details what produce is currently in season and ripe for the picking!
What to get right now:
- Blueberries - only in season in July and August
- Cherries - only in season in July!
- Green beans
- Peas and pea pods - only in season in June and July
- Peppers (sweet)
- Rhubarb - only in season May through July
- Snap peas/snow peas
- Summer Squash
- Zucchini Blossoms - only in season in June and July
What to get come August:
- Broccoli Raab
- Currants - only in season in August
- Okra - only in season in August and September
- Winter Squash